Saturday, November 19, 2011

What Do I Want?


I was always okay at English, not incredibly good or bad, and I had no particular love for it. Sophomore year it was interesting to learn about the American writers in context of the events of the times, since I had never learnt about American history before. But it was my junior year, as I am sure is the case with most everyone else in the class, that I began to truly enjoy literature. We read much more than in my previous classes, more authors and more from each author. But more so, we discussed the work in greater detail, with the style of the author, all the devices, and the historical context, but in more obscure detail, not the well-known facts that any American (besides myself) would already know, like we learnt in American Literature sophomore year. I was hoping to gain from AP Lit even more knowledge of literature, the who/what/when/where/why/how it is written, how they all combine to make the piece a great literary work, and how all these works can be so different and yet comparable. Basically, I really just want to learn more, soak up the knowledge all around me, mostly just to know more, and also to be able to apply what I know to other pieces of literature to understand them better.

No comments:

Post a Comment